Many people think that in order to substantially raise the value of your home, it’ll cost an arm and a leg. While home remodeling can cost a pretty penny, there are many variables that are well within your control. While many factors simply cannot be controlled, such as the real estate and housing market, the location of your property, and the status of the economy, there are a few simple fixes that you can do to increase the value of your property.
It doesn’t matter whether you are looking to sell your house or simply spruce it up: and the way you treat your home can either make it one of your greatest assets or one of your greatest liabilities. Coming home to a clean, appealing household can very well reduce your stress and improve your quality of life as well! By spending some time renovating your house and giving it a makeover, you can make your home-base more attractive while increasing the value of the actual estate! Read on to discover some simple ways to increase the value of your home.
Remember Curb Appeal
You never have a second chance to make a first impression and this cannot be any truer when it comes to your house. If you want to sell your home, this will be the first thing that any real estate appraiser is going to see. Make a quick list. What do you like about the exterior and what can you not stand? Fixtures like lanterns, updated walkways, and tidy lawns have more of an impact than you might think. Here are a few simple fixes:
If your lawn is looking a little dull, add some life to the exterior by planting some new flowers, hedges, fruit trees, and other tasteful plants.
- Always keep your front lawn and landscaping well-maintained. A thick, luscious bed of green grass will always look better than a yellowing, unmaintained lawn ripe with weeds. Consider hiring a landscaper if your landscaping is not already taken care of.
- Hiring an exterior painter to paint a fresh coat of paint on the front door and exterior of the house will exponentially increase your house’s curb appeal. If it’s been a few years since the last coat of paint, we’re sure that your neighbors will be happy as well! Think about any lawn ornaments you may have lying around that have been baking in the sun. It may be time to buy new exterior decorations. If the mailbox or other outside fixtures need a small renovation, consider taking a few weekends to update those as well.
- After the exterior is taken care of, the next two locations that should be renovated are the kitchen and the bathrooms, as these are the areas of any home that receive the most foot traffic. According to a report called “2018 Cost Vs. Value”, a small kitchen remodel is able to regain nearly 80% of its cost through added value. The Remodeling Magazine report also stated that updated fixtures, new appliances, and a floor renovation to a bathroom can see an almost 70% return on initial investment.
Improve Air Quality and Energy
If you have an older home, you may have carpets that are hiding years’ worth of allergens, dust, and other household contaminants. More and more people are making the switch from carpet to hard-surface flooring, as they are easy to clean, give the house a more modern look, and don’t hold odors from food, pets, or spills. In general, updated flooring will be much more appealing to homeowners, buyers, and real estate appraisers for the reasons previously mentioned. If you simply cannot get ride of the carpet, hire a professional cleaning service to deep-clean those carpets. A professional carpet cleaning service will usually cost less than $300 and will make the living room sparkle.
Another easy way to add resale value to your home and to save money is to outfit your home with energy saving appliances and upgrades. Energy-efficient devices such as up-to-date attic insulation, double-paned windows, solar panels, and updated energy-efficient appliances. A large percentage of The National Association of Realtors agreed that solar panels meant added value to perceived property value. This doesn’t include the actual electric bill savings.
Welcome to the Smart House
Many homebuyers and homeowners are opting for state-of-the-art smart technology. Smart appliances such as refrigerators, door locks, security cameras, lighting, fire detectors, and thermostats can be controlled through mobile phone applications. This adds a level of modernity and tech-appeal that will attract many eagle-eyed homebuyers. Smart technologies such as thermostats allow a user to turn off the A/C when they are not home, which can potentially save hundreds on electric bills every year. Installing smart appliances can cost much less than a kitchen or bathroom renovation, and installation of these appliances won’t break the bank.
Perform Regular Maintenance
Try not to let the to-do list pile up. Here are a few things that many homeowners neglect while trying to maintain a home:
- Replace worn and beaten-up door knobs
- Trim your trees outside
- If you can’t afford a full kitchen remodel, replace or resurface the cabinets
- Install new garage doors – this helps with curb appeal and energy bills (if insulated)
- Find any minor repairs, such as screening, cracked windows and plasters, dented door jambs, and leaky faucets
- Install recessed lighting. This makes your home look brighter, more expensive, and stunning all at the same time
- Install a simple hanging rack for pots and pans
- Powerwash the exterior of your home
- Reduce clutter (such as upholstery, throw pillows, and 10 year-old conversation pieces)
- Replace old appliances such as water heaters
Hire a Home Remodeler
If you’re not sure where to start with a home remodel, a professional contractor can help renovate your home with curb appeal and re-sale value in mind. While there are many things that you can do by yourself that can increase the value of your home, sometimes it is necessary to bring in a remodeler to help with the heavy-lifting of home renovation. A home remodeler can help choose the best energy-efficient appliances, smart technologies, and home improvements that will lead to increased value and cheaper energy bills in the long-run.
Jupiter, FL Home Remodeling
Jupiter Home Remodeling Pros makes the process of renovation an easy, affordable, and smart way to increase the financial and aesthetic value of your home. By employing certified professionals, performing impeccable work, and always listening to the client first, we have made a name for ourselves as the best home remodelers in Jupiter, FL and the surrounding Palm Beach area.
If you are looking to add value to your home while achieving the perfect look that you and your family (or real estate agent) will love, Jupiter Home Remodeling has what it takes! With decades of experience in the business and hundreds of happy customers, we can guarantee a unique and brilliant home renovation. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us or give us a call at 561-291-7431!